First off the wedding was fabulous! We had the most amazing time and it was seriously exactly what we had wanted. We were so thankful to everyone for driving to Wilmington. It figures that only the grooms parents and a friend or two would live in the city we chose. Most people drove from inside of NC but we did have a few from out of state. My family came down on Friday night and Clay headed down to his parents on friday morning. That night we went out downtown with some of our friends and it was so much fun. It made me realize how much I miss seeing everyone and it was nice to just chill out. Plus, we got into places downtown for free as the bride and groom to be. On Saturday we started out by laying at the hotel pool which was really calming. The rehearsal was quick and painless and made everything seem suddenly real and sorta scary. If you know Clay and I we aren't real big on being the center of attention. The rehearsal dinner was amazing!! Clay's parents chose this great restaurant in Wrightsville Beach on the waterway. The food was amazing and Clay finally got to see his groomscake of an Appalachian ball cap. It turned out perfectly and he was very surprised.
So then on Sunday I woke up with some butterflies. I decided to focus on small things throughout the day to keep my nerves at bay. Such as my new awesome makeup, seeing Clay, and of course seeing the much anticipated cake. Luckily we got to the Balcony really early so I had time to hang out with Laura, Melissa, and even Jordan. We all were getting last minute things together and running around checking out everything. I was very happy that I was slow getting ready because the rush to get upstairs on time kept me from being nervous. I bawled down the aisle...Hey...i'm a daddy's girl ya know! Then as soon as I got up there I was like holy moley everyone is staring at us and I can't run away haha! The ceremony was awesome and it was really neat to have Clay's sister, do our service. It made it personal and also really relaxing. It's like talking to a friend rather than some strange person. Conor, our ring bearer, was adorable as always and a little upset that he couldn't stay with Clay and Katie during the ceremony. We then took a TON of pictures and headed to eat some food. The food was really good and it was relaxing to just sit and talk to everyone. Then came the amazingness of the cake. It was an ivory fondant with little blue, green, brown flip flops with patterns all over it. Even the foot straps were raised like real flip flops. It may have been one of the greatest parts of the day. We then ate, hung out with everyone, and then headed off to do pictures in downtown Wilmington. We got a lot of congrats walking down the street. "Look at that striking young gentleman in that nice suit and then Oh goodness that beautiful woman in the long flowing IVORY dress." Ok maybe it wasn't quite like that but it was really close. After that we went back and got our stuff together and headed to the hotel. We stayed at the Best Western downtown which is actually the Coastline Inn....or at least I think that's the name. Either way our room was seriously amazing. It was a corner room with two windows facing the sound. The hotel is on the waterfront so we had this awesome view of everyone boating. We even got to see an oil tanker up close which was really cool. I don't think i've stayed somewhere with a much better view. Since the wedding was early we headed down to riverwalk to eat. We had a great steak dinner and enjoyed the beautiful, warm wilmington summer nights. Sadly on Monday we had to return back home but we were psyched to see the kitties. They took to being boarded very well and were really lovey when we got home. Thankfully they didn't try to kill us for shipping them off. I think cats could probably actually plot a murder so yeah...we were lucky.
Since the wedding Clay finished up with school and we have been busy unpacking the apartment and getting settled. I have been working two days a week and filling in anytime someone is sick or I am offered extra hours. I really like the UPS store and the people I work with. There is never a dull moment. Whether it is "Do you guys ship UPS?" "Um...yes ma'am at the UPS Store we do indeed ship UPS." Or the "I'd like to ship this natural gas canister that weighs 30 lbs empty to California." People mail some amazing things haha. We took a trip up to Lake Junaluska when Katie was ordained. It was really fun to hang out with the Roberts clan. We went out to dinner and even swam a bit. It was so beautiful in the mountains and if you have even seen the Methodist conference area it is beautiful. I may be Lutheran but we are pretty cool with Methodists. I mean we don't like use the good china when they come over but they are welcome hah! We also went on our honeymoon to Oak Island. Since we stayed at my Nanny's house we didn't have to pay for a hotel. We went out to eat a lot and laid on the beach. It was pretty much my ideal honeymoon. We are hoping to plan a cruise sometime to do something a bit more adventurous. We'll wait for some money also haha! We have been going to the Radio Island beach access at least twice each week and then to Oak Island. I also attended my orientation for Nursing school. I really love Carteret so far. Everyone is so friendly and I swear they answer every question. We got fitted for our scrubs and I actually received them a few days ago. They aren't the prettiest but mine fits perfectly which is very exciting.
We are currently here at Oak Island for the 4th. It's mom, dad, nanny, laura, brian, gatsby, bama, brewer, and of course Clay and I. The cats and gatsby have done amazingly here at the beach and we have had zero issues. I mean hello the cats act like they are on vacation everyday of their life. All they do is eat, sleep, and play. Right now it's just a mile closer to the beach than they are at home! We have eaten some amazing food. Tonight we had turkey burgers with onions and sun-dried tomatoes inside. They were so good and luckily also very healthy. For the 4th we are having salmon and steak. I do love going out to eat but then again coming back from the beach to a home cooked meal is pretty sweet. We have been on the beach the past two days and are planning the same for tomorrow. Tonight we went down to the soccer fields for an outdoor movie. We got to watch the original Jaws on a huge screen only a few hundred feet from the ocean. Seriously...free events are the most fun things. I am really excited to sit on the front porch tomorrow and watch the fireworks.
So that is where we are as of now. Clay and I are just really enjoying the summer and bracing for the school year. He will be heading to DC on monday for a little historical vacation. He has plans to go to the White House (he is really excited) and also to the senate (I think) to watch for a while. He is also visiting a bunch of other sites that I can't remember. Keep in mind he is the history teacher and I am most certainly NOT a history type person. We are also excited because his parents are coming to visit us in a few weeks. It will be fun to have apartment guests. I know they are planning to go to Ocracoke on saturday while i'm slaving away at work. Clay takes the summer vacation term VERY literally. I give him two summers of nothingness before he either plans some serious travel or figures out something else to do. Hope everyone is doing fabulous and Happy 4th of July!!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment